Saturday, December 29, 2012

BTMG'S SONS' TOP TEN OF 2012


Every week when I see a movie or two (or even three, maybe four) I have the ability to bring a guest to the screenings…  If the movie makes sense, my wife agrees and I can finagle an extra guest pass – I’ll bring along two of my boys.  They love it because it’s a movie and I guess – to some extent – because that means they’ll be having popcorn and candy again for breakfast or lunch.  Not a bad deal.  They’re just like any other 7- and 5- year old boys: active, crazy, outgoing, loud, crazy, sports-minded, superhero obsessed, etc.  I guess the only thing that truly sets them apart from their peers is that they’re really handsome…like they’re daddy (who I’ve heard is a very nice man; kidding…and moving on).

My boys saw quite a few movies this year and together we thought – if you have kids at home – that a list of their favorites might make sense (even with a bit of crossover regarding their picks).  I could only muster up one to two word reviews from them – most of those words being ‘it’s’ and ‘awesome’ so I took the liberty of adding a few parent-helpful remarks.

If you’re interested, my TOP TEN of 2012 can be found here – but you probably clicked here for another reason, so...


MY SEVEN-YEAR OLD SON’S TOP TEN OF 2012
10. MADAGASCAR 3: EUROPE’S MOST WANTED
The best of the series – in my opinion.  Thinking I’d get a solid, 90-minute nap – I found myself laughing and paying attention throughout.   
9. PIRATES! BAND OF MISFITS
From the makers of WALLACE AND GROMIT and CHICKEN RUN.  Easily they’re least enjoyable outing.  Very chaotic, not that imaginative and fairly unfunny.
8. DR. SEUSS’ THE LORAX
The environmental message is as subtle as a shovel to the head.  Very colorful and loud though-so there’s that…
7. RISE OF THE GUARDIANS
A superhero team made up of Santa, Jack Frost, The Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy and The Sandman.  Great holiday movie – heartfelt and action-packed – one of the better animated movies of the year.
6. THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN
This one might have been a little too much on the intensity scale (at least for the 5-year old) as they play the heroics a little too close to real life (ala THE DARK KNIGHT; just not as intense).  It’s still a needless remake of a superhero movie – but if you’re kids can handle it they’re gonna have some fun.
5. FRANKENWEENIE
From the brilliantly twisted mind of Tim Burton.  A simple, black-and-white movie of a boy and his dog.  Easy to swallow message and very creative.  One of my favorites (somewhere between #11 and #30 of the year).
4. DIARY OF A WIMPY KID: DOG DAYS
We’re currently reading this books at home – so I’m working off some sort of landmark here.  The movies seem to stay fairly close to the source material.  Funny, charming – perhaps a bit crass – but fun.
3. WRECK IT-RALPH
Not only is it the best animated movie of the year – it’s one of the best movies of the year.  A wonderful and wondrous story of video game characters lives behind the token slot.  A must see!
2. MARVEL’S THE AVENGERS
The biggest box office success of the year and a really fun movie to boot.  Another one of my favorites (probably #11).  Both of my boys are in to Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk and Thor so this was right in their wheelhouse.  It truly is a movie that everyone in the family can enjoy…
1. THUNDERSTRUCK
A nerdy, non-athletic kid switches abilities with NBA star Kevin Durant.  This movie saw the light of day on maybe 10 screens nationwide and then quickly found a home on DVD and Blu-ray.  My boys, eating up all things professional and collegiate sports, have now helped it find a home – in constant rotation – on anything that plays movies in our home.  Yes, being from Seattle makes it difficult to invest in a movie about an Oklahoma City player - but it was harmless fun.
MY FIVE-YEAR OLD SON’S TOP TEN OF 2012
10. PIRATES! BAND OF MISFITS See above – yawn…
9. MADAGASCAR 3: EUROPE’S MOST WANTED
See above…
8. BRAVE Regardless of what many other critics (who don’t know of what they speak) say negatively about this flick – it still remains one the better animated movies of 2012.  It may not be Pixar’s best, but even Pixar’s worst (which this is not) is better than 80% of the animated product out there.  A simple movie with tons of heart!
7. DR. SEUSS THE LORAX See above – and watch for that shovel…
6. BIG MIRACLE This true life story about a family of whales trapped under the ice – and the people of Alaska struggling to free them was as touching as it was intense.  I thought it was a really good movie for the whole family – and I’m quite proud of this pick.
5.
THUNDERSTRUCK See above – I can’t get away from this thing…
4. THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN See above – may be a bit intense…
3. THE ODD LIFE OF TIMOTHY GREEN Another solid family pick from my 5-year old.  Well played.  A lot of critics belly-moaned about this tale of adoption and innocence.  I thought it was charming, fun, powerful and made for a great watch.
2.
MARVEL’S THE AVENGERS
See above – superheroes assemble…
1. RISE OF THE GUARDIANS See above – more superheroes assembling..



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a nanny, I try and view the "kid" movies first. I appreciate the added insight of your very handsome and charming sons. Candy,popcorn and a movie....you are a waaaay cool dad!